Wool Carpet Construction
100% Pure wool - Our carpets, not including the backing, are 100% natural wool fiber. The wool comes from Great Britain, which has some of the highest quality wool in the World. Many other wool carpets brands mix synthetic fibers with wool, and most other brands use lower quality fibers. Wool carpets are soft and luxurious. We recommend ordering the carpet board or samples so that you can feel them for yourself.
- Better than 'natural wool carpet.' Made of 100% natural raw materials. Even the adhesive is natural. Most other carpet brands use Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR) (which is a mix of petrochemicals) as an adhesive, including carpets with the 'Green Label Plus' label. SBR is a mixture of approximately 76.5% butadiene (CH2=CH-CH=CH2) and 23.5% styrene (CH2=CHC6H5). SBR is not used in our carpets. There are over 200 chemicals used in conventional carpets.
Durable. Because of the natural resiliency of wool, wool carpets can hold their shape and fresh look longer than other types of carpet. When stretched or crushed, they bounce back to their original shape. Synthetic fibers lose their shape more quickly. Synthetic fibers flatten, wear in high-traffic areas, wear under furniture, or pill. Naturally stain resistant. Wool repels liquids, which is what most stains come from.
- No harmful chemicals are used at any stage of manufacturing. No chemical mothproofing. No chemical stain or fire retardants added. No synthetic dyes. No synthetic primary backing. No synthetic poly secondary backing. No styrene butadiene adhesive. No pesticides.
- Better air quality. Our wool carpet does not contain any toxic chemicals. The fibers can also hold dust particles until they have been vacuumed, which results in less dust in the air. Wool carpet can help purify the air by absorbing pollutants, according to a study by the Wool Research of New Zealand (WRONZ).
- Dolomite, Pyrenees, McKinley and Rainier have No dyes. Naturally pigmented wool fibers are used for coloration as opposed to any of the harsh dyes and chemical bonding agents other carpet manufacturers use. The application of chemicals can greatly affect indoor air quality through the off gassing of volatile organic compounds.
- All natural primary backing. Primary backing is made of a combination of hemp and cotton. Hemp is used for its durability, strength, and mold and mildew resistance. This is used instead of the traditional synthetic polypropylene primary. Jute, a hardy earth friendly fiber producing plant, is used for the secondary backing.
Wool yarns are locked into place with a natural adhesive that is derived from the rubber tree. This further helps to lock the stitches in place and prevents slippage of the yarn. This adhesive is completely biodegradable and non-toxic as well.
- Sheep are raised in a free range environment.
- Naturally flame resistant. Wool fibers will not ignite if exposed to flames and they self extinguish quickly. Flammability - Meets or exceeds methenamine pill test requirements for carpets and area rugs
- Completely Biodegradable flooring. Non-toxic. Can be used as mulch, recycled, etc.
- Made in the USA.